As mentioned in another post, we went to Catheryn's for Boxing Day. Here is a snap of Catheryn showing me her criss cross method of knitting.....notice the 'egg' on the bed. That's her ginormous ball of yarn she uses to try out stitches. For the record...it's waaaay smaller than it used to be!
And now.....onto the end of 2004 list time......
Well, it's just that time of year, isn't it? It makes me reflect and think about what I've done over the year, what I haven't done, what I should've done...etc etc etc.
In the spirit of all that bollocks.....here's my two lists:
TOP 5 ADDICTIONS:
- Well, this one is obvious....I mean,....this is a knitting blog, right? yep. Knitting, yarn etc etc. Current (very small list of) fave surf sites relating to this:
- I love all things rock n roll. (another duh, right?) What does rock n roll mean to me? It means people thinking for themselves. Britney Spears is NOT rock n roll. The Pixies are. It's not a type of music. It's an attitude that moves me... that makes my heart beat fast. I guess this extends to everything in my life. But that's another story, isn't it! Without wanting to spend hours hunting down all of my fave bands websites.......let's just leave it to the King of Rock n Roll...
- Keith Richards - After all these years, he is still my hero. And...he is all things rock n roll to me. I had the pleasure to meet him once and I swear, I didn't sleep for a week. Total fan geekdom moment for moi. If Bubble could ever ever ever open for the Stones or Keith-solo, I would die happily.
- I gave up one addiction and replaced it with another this year. Yep. I quit the coffee and discovered the variety of green tea. There is a funky chinese restaurant in Venice, CA ....very...hmmm...well, what you would expect from hippies in Venice Beach. It's called Mao's Kitchen and they offer this tea that is made from roasted millet. I guess it was what the peasants drank because they couldn't afford to buy tea leaves. But it became my favorite tea very quickly. We found a tea that tastes almost identical from Eden Foods.
- Genmaicha Green Tea - Made with Brown Rice. I am drinking this constantly and smiling while I absorb all those anti-oxidants. (gotta do something to eradicate all those years of rocking and rolling like a wild girl!)
- Adagio Teas - Nathania Apple sent me a gift certificate for this place. Amazing selection of teas. A flavor to please everyone. Or do what I did and get a sampler. Plus the tins they send the tea in can be reused for clever thingys. (ya know....like if you're one of those uber Martha Stewart types.) Me? I just save the tins and keep trying to think of a clever use. ha! But damn, the tea sure is delicious.
- One addiction that's close to the guilty pleasure category...ALIAS. Why do I love this show? Well, it's a cartoon really, isn't it? Sydney (we're on a first name basis, ya know?) is like the female James Bond and the show is basically a soap format. I mean, c'mon. How many times can people come 'back to life' and then there's Sydney's relationship with her dad. And Vaughn. Don't ya wanna punch Vaughn sometimes? He always wears that puppy look on his face. And Will. Will, Will, Will. You will never be Sydney's true flame. Ahhhh. the pain of unrequited love.
- ALIAS magazine - I knew the addiction was serious when we were at Barnes and Noble and I practically dropped everything and screamed when I saw the ALIAS magazine. I almost bought it but stopped short of becoming a full on trekkie fan of this show. I gotta have some pride right?
- Converse All Star Shoes! As with all other addictions...this one extends to both Bam and me. However, upon photographing the collection....we discovered an interesting fact! Bam is more of a Converse junkie than I am! He defended the number of converse that were his by claiming that he just couldn't throw them away even though the green ones, red ones and old white ones were no longer wearable. Ahhhh. Spoken like a true addict. (in the collection, please note the limited edition black leather converse, along with my brand new patchwork pink/red high tops.)
TOP 7 FILMS
I couldn't think of 10 so I'm listing 7 ....anyway, since we don't drink, don't drink coffee and now Bam doesn't even smoke....well, there had to be a replacement drug. We found it in film. God Bless escapism! My faves of the year:
- The Triplets of Belleville - I loved the look of this film, the happy feeling it gives me. The music is sublime and inventive. Nothing short of magical.
- The Incredibles - I thought this was gonna be another boring kids flick that we took Max to. But instead, I found myself laughing harder than he did! I loved the humanity of the characters and was blown away by the fact that the story was as good as the animation. Very surprising.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - This was an interesting foray into the heart of love and break ups. I didn't know it was Jim Carrey for the first 20 minutes of the film. I thought he was 'that good' in it!
- Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - We just saw this film and I have to include it. I thought the script was so original and fresh. Bill Murray was adorable and I really loved seeing Willem Dafoe play a dufus German instead of his usual more evil characters. Plus the Bowie songs sung in Portugese all throughout the film. How could I resist? Very fun. Very different. If you like Hollywood formula, you will NOT enjoy this one.
- Fahrenheit 9/11 - What can I say that hasn't been said? This film made headlines, made people think, and hopefully, made us all question our leaders. I still believe it's our right to question authority and ....isn't that what America was founded on in the first place? It's patriotic to think for ourselves.
- Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Many of you won't like this one cuz it's so violent. But really, it's cartoon violence. Like old exploitation films. Anyway, I loved loved loved this. Sort of like Alias in that the chick is the most skilled at all killing/fighting sports and she looks good ALL THE TIME while doing it! (gotta love that yellow jumpsuit.) Thank you Quentin for another piece of delicious entertainment fun. And thank you for making Uma Thurman a super star goddess and showing how Daryl Hannah is one of the coolest babes on the planet.
- Intermission - Solid cast, excellent script. Just really dug this film.
And with that...I bid you all farewell until 2005. I hope it brings us all riches and success ...for both the heart AND the wallet! ;-)